Bored with the default boot screen?? Although changing the boot screen is not a feature that the Windows team at Microsoft has built into Windows, you can change Windows XP and Vista boot screens with freely available software like bootskin and Vista boot Logo Generator.
The image that is displayed during the boot time is kept in a hidden system file called ntoskrnl.exe . This image is loaded during the Windows boot and displays the boot image and animation. There is a manual way to hack into this system file and to change the default .bmp file associated with it. But the method is little difficult and involves several issues that can even damage the system booting.
Change Windows XP boot skin:
1. Download the boot skin application from Stardock.
2. On launch after installation, the program will show a set of available boot screens as shown below. Select a suitable boot screen and apply.
Apart from the available boot screens, you can also download few sets from this site.http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=32
Windows XP boot screens in downlodable .exe format can be found here .
Change Windows vista boot screen :
- Download Vista Boot Logo Generator.
- Windows vista boot screens are 800×600 and 1024×768 resolution bitmap files . So create two sizes of image which is to be used as a boot screen .
- Now open the two images using Vista logo generator .
- Click on File and select Save Boot Screen File as and save your file.
- A file will be created as the winload.exe.mui which should be replaced by the original one in the system folder inc:WindowsSystem32en-us. Before youcopy in your new file, make a backup of the original . Remember to be in administaror account and grant all permiossions when asked .
- Now open MSCONFIG (Press Win+R and type in) .
- Once the System Configuration tool loads, click on the Boot tab.
- From the Boot Options tab check “No GUI Boot”, (This step alone(6-8) can be used change the default Vista boot screen to Aurora boot screen)
- Hit OK and reboot to see the new Windows vista boot screen.
Note that this utility doesn’t work for Windows Vista SP1 or earlier versions .
Stardock’s Bootskin pro can be used to change windows vista boot screens ,but only available for its Object Desktop Ultimate customers .
Tuneup softwares’s Tuneup utilities 2009 can be used to change both Windows XP and Vista boot screens with any image and come with a 30 day trial period .